- Plan Your Visit
- Visit with Confidence
- The House
- The Gardens
- The Chapel
- The Estate
- The Visitor Centre
Make the most of your visit to Abbotsford with our tips for visiting as a family.
Follow the forest trails
Go on your own quest of adventure at Abbotsford with our family playtrail. Follow the trails, complete the challenges then muster your horses and storm the castle! Set within beautiful woodland adjacent to the Visitor Centre, our playtrail offers a fun play experience for children of all ages and their families within a unique natural setting.
Explore the woodlands
Sir Walter Scott loved planting trees around his estate and created stunning woodlands which can still be enjoyed today. Follow our marked trails through the woods and along the river bank and go on your own adventure under the leaves!
DON'T MISS - TOP 4 HIGHLIGHTS
Sir Walter Scott filled his home with weird and wonderful objects - can you guess how much the giant two-handed sword weighs, spot a breastplate with a bullet hole in it and work out which animal skull is upside down?.
Discover the gruesome story behind this statue of Morris, one of Scott's characters from Rob Roy - can you work out what he's doing and why?
Count the swords, spot the crossbows, look for Scott's Blunderbuss and watch out for the thumbikins! Can you guess what they were used for?
Gargoyles and grotesques
Look up and keep your eyes peeled inside and out Abbotsford for Scott's collection of gruesome "grinners".
- Toilets and unisex baby changing facilities are available in the Visitor Centre.
- Self-service lockers for bags are available in the Visitor Centre.
- Ochiltree’s restaurant offers a range of light snacks and meals throughout the day. A children’s menu and highchairs are available.
- A kiosk with a range of hot and cold drinks and snacks to take away is located in the lobby of the Visitor Centre.
- Picnic tables are located outside the Visitor Centre. Benches within the play trail can also be used for picnics.
- Our shop stocks a range of books, toys, gifts and souvenirs suitable for children.
- Prams and buggies are welcome in all areas of the Visitor Centre, House and Gardens.
- Please note that children should be accompanied by an adult at all times, including in the play trail.
- Please take extra care in the wider estate as some paths run alongside the River Tweed, busy roads and cross fields which contain livestock.