The Chapel

Sir Walter Scott’s granddaughter Charlotte married James Robert Hope in 1847.

They added a private wing to Abbotsford in 1853, also creating a dedicated tourist route through the gardens and through the historic house, while steering the ever-rising visitor numbers away from the family’s home. This Catholic Chapel was added in 1855.

James Hope Scott was an important figure in the Oxford Movement and a close friend of John Henry Newman (later Cardinal Newman).

In the early 1840s, with Newman, Hope-Scott became one of the leaders of the Tractarian or Oxford Movement, which sought to return the Anglican Church to a richer Mediaeval form of worship. This movement was deeply conservative and fought against liberal theology and a perceived secularisation of the church. It developed into Anglo-Catholicism and many of its members became Roman Catholics.

In 1845 Newman left the Church of England and was received into the Roman Catholic Church where he was eventually granted the rank of cardinal by Pope Leo XIII.

Newman’s beatification was officially proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI on 19 September 2010 during his visit to the United Kingdom. His canonisation is dependent on the documentation of additional miracles. A selection of items he gifted to the family along with the story of James Hope Scott and Newman will form part of a permanent exhibition in the Chapel.

James Robert Hope-Scott and his wife Charlotte were received into the Roman Catholic church in 1851.

Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept